9/16/2005

My Favorite Time Of The Year

I love the fall. To me, it's about transition. It's a time of change. I don't see the fall as a time when the trees die and the weather gets cold. It's more than the colors of the leaves and football...lol. The fall has a depth to it. While the summer is just one temp, the fall goes through a range of weather. I love breathing deeply during cool, crisp mornings and starry nights. There is something comforting about those days where all you need is a sweater outside. I'm a big Halloween person, and I love the donuts and cider, and all the smells associated with it. If the summer is a hot haze pounding you with heat, the fall, to me, is a cool, clear and fresh embrace. It's a new start....a transition from one to another, similar to life. The summer and winter are destinations, they are places we look to, like specific moments in our life. The fall and spring are the transitions, or the journey to those destinations. For me, life is more and more about the journey, not the end. It's at these times I find myself at my most introspective, and most creative. My outlook on life changes in the fall. Things I saw one way in the summer, I see differently in the fall. The ambience creates a "newness" and importance that just opens me up. As a result, I find myself re-visiting many of my favorite things to enjoy that feeling. I'll re-watch my favorite DVDs, and pull out some of those special CDs. The music is an especially noticeable change for me. Music has been a special part of my life. Throughout my journey I have found so many songs that seem to have been written just for me at those specific times. Some are happy, some are not. It's the self-expression I find within them that keeps me going back. Regardless of the theme, it's the honesty and emotion of a place I have come from that reminds me how much I have changed since.

I hope I haven't bored you with this; it's not necessarily about the baby, but then again it kinda is. We are in the transition phase now, and he's coming soon. I can't help but smile at how perfectly it fits.

Everyone likes something different and has their own unique sources of inspiration and inner peace. Today, if you don't mind, I'd like to share some of those songs/albums that have some of that special meaning to me. Keep in mind, I'm a product of the 80s and loved the 90s, when you see this list. (U2 is excluded...I've mentioned them in an earlier post.)

Albums:

Live - The Distance To Here
Queensryche - Promised Land
Roger Waters - Amused To Death
Soundgarden - Superunknown

Specific songs (not on the above albums):

Bruce Springsteen - Secret Garden, Better Days, The Big Muddy
Live - Overcome, t.b.d., Lakini's Juice, Sweet Release, Like I Do
Eminem - Lose Yourself
John Mellencamp - Human Wheels
Bon Jovi - Hard Letting You Go, Staring At Your Window...,
King's X - Down
Scorpions - Don't Stop At The Top
Queensryche - Best I Can, Silent Lucidity
Extreme - Tell Me Something I Don't Know, Am I Ever Gonna Change?, Watching Waiting
REM - Everybody Hurts
Bush - Everything Zen
Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears
Billy Squier - Time Bomb
Poison - Every Rose Has It's Thorn
Counting Crows - Round Here
Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up
Metallica - Wherever I May Roam
Collective Soul - The World I Know

Thanks for your interest in this journal. I am humbled by your kind words.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I love Halloween! Nothing wrong with tombstones in the front yard. Or creepy music...or creepy lights...or creepy white boys wearing Ben Wallace Fros while handing out candy to the kids....uh...yeah....

    ReplyDelete