9/29/2005

Each Day As It Comes

From babycenter.com:

"How your baby's growing: Your baby now weighs about 4
3/4 pounds and is probably almost 18 inches long. His fat
layers ” which he'll need to regulate his body temperature
once he's born ” are filling him out, making him rounder. His
central nervous system is still maturing and his lungs are well
developed by now. If you've been nervous about going into
preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that 99 percent of babies
this age can survive outside the womb ” and most have no
major long-term problems related to prematurity."

I keep watching the calander as the weeks go by. I've written it a hundred times, but it still can't convey just how fast the time seems to have passed.

Last night, like most nights recently, we had playtime with Baby Boy. He seems to get excited when I talk directly to him. Either that, or he's like "Shut up, I'm trying to sleep in here!" I'm thinking the former. I'm hoping the former...lol. Kelly has been feeling some cramping lately and as long as it's not in any type of pattern or predictable interval, it's nothing for us to worry about just yet. The doctor mentioned she might feel those "Phantom contractions" or some more abdominal cramping as he continues to grow.

We took a tour of the birthing suite at the hospital (St Joseph Mercy in Ypsilanti) and came away feeling a bit nervous. Things become more real when you have a glimpse of the future presented to you like that. We're excited and can't wait to see him, but we're also nervous. We've never done this before and it's all new and a bit overwhelming sometimes. This whole experience has been a plethora of emotions covering the entire spectrum. Our lives have already changed in so many ways as I'm sure those of you who are parents can understand.

I've been thinking of a phrase that Kelly's mom told her. "It's the hardest pain to bear, but the easiest to forget." That phrase has kept our spirits up when Kelly has been feeling uncomfortable, or when we get nervous about the birth. We've found ourselves saying it here and there as needed and it really puts a nice perspective on the experience without fluffing it up.

Have I told you how much I love Kelly? She surprised me last night with a gift for Baby Boy...a St. Louis Rams onesy, complete with a bib and socks. It's so cute! I can't wait to put him in it! Now all I need is a U2 baby outfit and I'll be all set to go. (We've been looking for one, seriously...lol)

I'll be posting pictures again soon. I have some more to show you of the baby room and I have to show you the Rams outfit. When the baby dresser is finished, I'll put those pics up as well.

We have a busy week next week, with Pediatrician meet-n-greets, doctor's appointment, and an Infant Care class. I'll apologize in advance for any lapse in posting next week.

So that's what we see when we look at the world today. We're taking each day as it comes and doing a little growing up with each one. And within the next 4-8 weeks, we will be a true family here in our little corner of South Lyon, Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment