I'm back (and not very awake) from Atlanta. The conference was a meeting of the minds; both Program Directors and Producers in the same place. Only a handful of you who read this work in radio, and it would take me too much space to explain it all, so I'll keep it simple. Program Directors (PDs) are the bosses, and the Producers are the guys, like me, who create the on-air imaging for the station. Often times PDs and Producers are not on the same page, and this conference was intended to bring both sides together to learn about this changing industry. It was a huge setup, with everything from a stage and lighting rig, to glow-stick plasticware at dinner. There was tons of food and games set up for the dinners and it was very cool.
I enjoyed a few of the sessions and breakout meetings, but I think I spent more time enjoying the fact that I was meeting people I only knew by voice or e-mail. Some of these people have actually been responsible, in part, for helping me get to where I am now. There were HUGE names in the industry there, and I found myself star-struck a couple times when meeting the top imaging guys. I also had a chance to see others I haven't seen in a long time.
So, it was the connections with my peers that made the conference exciting for me. I missed my family and it was so nice to come home and see them again. I am at work here, now, typing this, and am finding myself refreshed about my job, and inspired from the trip.
And with that, I'm gonna see what I can do here today. I'm a bit tired, because radio people are basically drunks and they hang out all night when they get together. Even though I was downing my Cokes and not drinking, I still couldn't stay up as late as they did.
Oh...did I mention I stayed at the Ritz Carlton? My bed was probably made with feathers....it was so soft....
But, there is something about coming home and sleeping in your own bed, that just feels right. I saw Tyler this morning and even though I hadn't seen him in three days, it was like he'd changed so much. He seemed different than I remembered, and I can't describe why, or how, but something inside me aches at the thought that I missed three days of his life that he grew a little more during.
When I look at the world today, it's through eyes that are a bit more proud of what I've accomplished in my life, both at work and at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment