5/12/2006

The Best Band Nobody's Heard Of



Behind U2, King's X is best rock band I know. Unfortunately for them, many people don't know who they are. They've been making music for 25 years now, and have 13 albums (I have all 13). Poor management decisions and record label issues have kept them smaller in the mainstream than they deserve to be. In fact, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedor has called them the best rock band since the Beatles. (I've added the link to their website on my "links" section) If, by some odd chance, you want to hear their stuff, I'd love to spread the word about them. I'd be happy to burn some "best-of" CDs for you.



Last night, my friend Steve and I went to see King's X at the Magic Bag in Ferndale. We got there about 10pm and found out we had missed the first 30 minutes of the show. He had a gig until 9:30 and I didn't get there until 10:05. Good news was they played until 11:40pm, so we still got 100 minutes or so. They played a lot of songs we were hoping to see during that time, and even had a REAL encore when the crowd wouldn't stop. Actually, during "Goldilox" they turn all the mics to the crowd and let us sing the whole song with them, and it's an amazing moment.



Afterwards, they sat at the merchandise table and I had a chance to meet them for the first time. Normally, meeting celebrities is not a big deal for me. Radio has burst that bubble a long time ago. But, when meeting the lead singer, Doug Pinnick, I found myself a bit shaky. I had a chance to say thanks to him, for making the music I've been listening to since the 80s. I can relate to his lyrics, the music and the emotions of their work. He was very receptive and friendly. He said it was nice to hear that the music touched me inside, because they are struggling as a band to keep from going broke on the tour. That it was the fans that keep them going. That was quite a shocker, but, outside that, it was a very nice night, and I can proudly say that of the top 4 bands in my world, I have met each of them now.

Here's a couple more pics of the band, not from last night, but just to show you who they are:


Would you think that Doug, the lead singer, is in his 50s? The man is a freak of nature:







At one point, Doug lets the fans swipe at his bass, and it's a cool moment in the show, he did it last night, too:



IF BY SOME CHANCE, YOU HAVE AN INTEREST IN THE BAND, I'D BE HAPPY TO BURN A CD OR TWO FOR YOU OF THEIR BEST STUFF. THEY NEED ALL THE PUBLICITY THEY CAN GET. LEMME KNOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment