4/11/2006

My Brilliant Little Boy

For the fourth time in as many months, Tyler is sick again. This follows on the heels of the three nasty viruses he had back in Feb & March. While this one appears to be just a simple cold, we are watching him carefully.

SOMETHING VERY INTERESTING:

I want to tell you something about my brilliant baby boy. Not only is he starting to sleep through the night (even with his new cold), but he's doing something almost remarkable.

When I picked him up at Daycare, Jen stopped me before I got to the baby room and said, "Okay." This got me nervous, but only for a second. "Do you know what Tyler is doing?"

Apparantly when she was feeding him a bottle yesterday he put his hand out like he was showing you all five fingers, spread wide. Then he proceeded to touch his thumb to his forhead above his left eye. He had done this for me a few times, too, and sometimes he'd even smack himself in the head.

"Do you know what that means?" Jen asked. "It's sign language for 'Daddy'".

Now, he's too young to understand what he's doing, and to be able to choose to do the sign and know what it means, is something way above where is development is at this age. Still, I got excited!

When I fed him next, he did the same thing, but he also kept his hand in that high-five position while moving it around his head, the bottle and me. It seems that's the way he's touching and feeling things: with his thumb! I can only guess that because he sucks his thumb, that it's a natural position for his hand to be in, so he does it a lot, especially when there is a bottle blocking him from putting his thumb in his mouth, so he just moves his hand around in that position.

BUT THEN SOMETHING INTERESTING HAPPENED THIS MORNING:

At 6:45am, Tyler woke up, and started making noises and we could hear him kicking the crib with his feet. I got up to check on him and he looked at me and smiled, like he sometimes does to us when we get him up in the morning.

Then, Tyler stretched and reached his left hand to his forehead above his left eye...and did the sign for Daddy again!


MY TAKE ON IT:

Tyler is subconsciously showing me how much he loves me!!! Right? What else could it be?

I know what it probably is, and that's fine....lol...but a small part of me wants to believe there is something special going on here...makes me smile.


Thanks for reading my blog!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:51 PM

    maybe a coincidence... maybe not. We have to open ourselves up sometimes to see the little miracles in life!

    ReplyDelete