7/07/2005

When I Look At The World

Today is an interesting day for me, because I find myself full of contradicting emotions. I have been feeling wonderful about our unborn son and have really enjoyed the feeling that we're bringing a new life to this world. Combined with the recent Live 8 concert and the idea that the world can come together to eliminate stupid poverty, I have been feeling good about the world in which our child will grow.

Then I see what happened in London this morning, and I am saddened and afraid. When I look at the world today I don't really know what to think. What kind of place will Baby Boy Kolchuk grow up in? Quiet honestly, I've had enough of terrorism and I am sickened that human beings in today's world still feel it necessary to commit an act of terrorism and use God as their excuse. I don't mean to get all political here, but today, I can't help it. Have we really evolved as a species? I am finding it hard to believe that. Before you comment, please know that I understand how much goodness there is in the world, and that there are amazing and wonderful people who make it a better place to live. I truly believe that. I guess I'm running on emotion today because of the London bombings. The fact is, that I just want my son to live in a good place, and I sometimes wonder what kind of place this really is. It's probably the wish of all parents, right? You want things to be perfect for your little one. You want people to follow the rules and pay attention. It's that parental instinct to want to protect, I guess.

So, today I pray for peace, and I pray that our son will find the world to be a beautiful place. In places it's not so beautiful, I hope he finds compassion and understanding, and a desire within himself to help make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment