All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.
For nine months we've looked ahead to May. For nine months we've thought about the future.
The future is here...now.
In this month, our family of three will become a family of four.
In this month, new life will bless our new home.
Baby Kolchuk is due May 27th, but we fully expect him/her to arrive earlier than that. I've held off on any birthday guesses on this blog because we've had the birthday "scheduled", if you will. But now, I am not so sure. Baby could arrive at any time.
Wow.
I remember the moment Kelly told me she was pregnant, and remember the exhilarating feeling we shared that morning. To be here, now, in this place, ready for all of it to happen again, is a true miracle.
----------
Dear Baby,
I wonder if you are a boy or a girl. I wonder what you look like, and who you will resemble. I wonder what you'll feel like when I hold you for the first time. I wonder what you'll sound like when you cry for the first time. I wonder when your "firsts" will happen, and how they'll happen. I wonder when your birthday will be, and what time you'll be born.
I think of you every time I hear U2's song, "Being Born." It makes me think you and what it will be like to see you being born. My son or daughter. Our miracle of life. A new original of the species.
Like your big brother before you, I can't wait to be your Daddy. I pray that I can be the Daddy you need me to be, and I hope you and I can build the same bond that I share with your big brother.
I can't wait to start posting about you on this blog, and sharing your life with our distant friends and family. We have built ourselves a nice little life in this tiny corner of Michigan, and we are so excited to have you join us.
My name is Chris Kolchuk, and I am your Daddy.
And I love you.
------
Welcome to May, and thanks for reading our blog.
.
Chris!!! What a touching letter! Being a new mom, you have no idea what a letter like this makes a mom feel. Not to mention, how much your son or daughter will love this letter when they are older! So excited for your new arrival!!
ReplyDeletejessica