Saturday, we had new furniture for Tyler's bedroom delivered to the house. While he napped in Mommy & Daddy's bed, the delivery was brought into his room, the headboard was attached to his bedframe, and tiny scratches were touched up. The room smelled like wood, and I was excited to show him everything when he woke up.
Tyler is no longer our little baby. As I watch him sleep, I can't help but feel a sense of peace. Here lies the eight pound, ten ounce, little baby that was born over three years ago. He now weighs 32 pounds, and stands 38.5 inches tall. He speaks clearly, and with conviction. He is a little person now, and I am so lucky to be able to experience it first hand. He sleeps sucking his thumb at the start, usually on his side, sometimes with a stuffed animal, sometimes not. I stand in his room, lit only by the blue nightlight which he's had since birth and listen to the rhythm of his breathing, and stare at his closed eyes.
At these times, I find myself the most sentimental, and I can't explain why. Maybe, it's because I can just look at him, but I don't know. Maybe it's a sense of perspective, or a reminding of priorities that I feel. Or maybe it's just love and nothing more, magnified by the silence of the darkened room. There is something about watching him at rest, at peace, that I find so beautiful.
When I look at the world today, I find my eyes turning inwards more and more as they take in this journey of life happening right in front of them. I find myself focusing on the meanings of it all and how lucky I am to be in the place I am in.
Here, with my beautiful son, tucked in his big boy bed, in this darkened room, quiet but for the sounds of his peaceful breathing, with the world outside awaiting him to wake up to it, I can't help but feel a part of something special.
No comments:
Post a Comment