12/23/2005

I Thought I Knew...

I thought I knew myself.

I thought I knew what it meant to have unconditional love for someone.

I thought I knew what it felt like to be needed and depended on.

I thought I knew what it felt like to be protective.

I thought I knew what it might feel like to be willing to take a bullet for someone.

I thought I knew the way the world worked.

I thought I knew what it meant to believe in magic in the world.

I thought I knew what it meant to have priorities and responsibility.

I thought I knew what it meant to be part of something bigger than me.

I thought I knew what the spirit of Christmas was all about.

I thought I knew what it meant to have faith in God.

I thought I knew what a miracle really was.

I thought I knew what it felt like to be a man.

I thought I knew what it meant to be a husband.

I thought I knew what it would feel like to be a father.

I thought I knew what the word "family" meant.

I thought I knew the way the world really looked.



Then I met my son.



And I realized that everything I know, I am only just beginning to understand.



Happy first Christmas, Tyler. I love you with all my heart and all my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment