12/01/2005

"Happy Birthday, Daddy!"

Today, I woke up to the sound of my son singing "Happy Birthday" to me. Don't believe me? Here's what it sounded like: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! WAAAAAAAAHHH! WAAAH! WAAAHHH! WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Ahhh...music to my ears....what? You don't hear it? That's odd....

As I think of my birthday today, I can't help but think of my son's. He's 16 days old now, and it's amazing to me how fast he's grown already. All those previous posts about living in his prequel, and things that happened "Before I was born", are a part of the past, tucked safely away for Tyler to look back on when he's old enough to understand. It's one thing to know the time you are living in, it's another to know that where you are now will soon become where you were then. I'm feeling that right now. That past is still so close to today that it's so hard to believe that I started this journal back in June, and that it's from a time passed.

And you may ask yourself: How did I get here?

You may also ask yourself: How many times has Tyler peed on Daddy? The answer is now: 6 times. He got me at the pediatrician yesterday. It was only a little on my hand, but I consider any urine-to-skin contact to be a success on Tyler's part.

34 years. As I enter my 34th year here, I pray that I'll be the father Tyler needs me to be. I pray that I get it right, and that when he's old enough, he will be able to look back at his life with Kelly and I and say, "Yeah, you did good."

So, when I look at the world today, it's through aging eyes that continue to be amazed by what they see. Could it be, that by the miraculous act of creating life, that I have actually become something better? Something more? I don't know for sure, but I can say that when I look at MYSELF, I feel different, I feel complete, I feel a part of something bigger than me, and it's an amazing feeling.

Thank you for reading my blog today.

No comments:

Post a Comment